I’ve been pondering this question for a while and would love some feedback from fellow bloggers/readers. WordPress is now allowing advertising on blogs that are on their own domain, but that are hosted by WordPress. We’re assured that the advertising will be tasteful. You must submit a request for them to review your blog, and then you must be approved.
Being the procrastinator that I can sometimes be, I have yet to dig any further into this.
But I’m considering it for a few reasons:
- I’m blogging for free now.
- I could always use some extra dough.
- Being paid may motivate me to take this whole thing to the next level. I have no idea what the next level might be, but humor me.
I also have some concerns:
- What does it take to get approved? What does it take to get declined? For instance, could this post alone disqualify me?
- Is advertising considered “selling out”? Will it cheapen my blog? Any more than it is now? Will my margarita turn into a Skinny Girl margarita with Bettheny in my banner?
- Will I no longer be taken seriously as a writer? I know…I just choked on that one myself.
- And most importantly, will I lose readership?
So this gives me a great opportunity to implement my very first poll.
All joking aside, I’d love to hear what you all think (or already know) on the subject, so please feel free to elaborate in the Comments section.